Advancing Basic Science
- Strengthening the capacity and promoting greater involvement and collaboration among researchers working in HIV vaccine discovery and social research in Canada and in low-and-middle-income countries.
- Support Canadian researchers working either independently or in small teams through operating and emerging team grant programs;
- Foster and support larger collaborative teams of Canadian and low-and-middle-income country researchers through the development of integrated research programs;
- Bring together multi-disciplinary teams to address areas of strategic importance through a research training program, involving Canadian and low-and-middle-income country trainees learning from mentors and peers in both Canadian research and low-and-middle-income country research environments; and
- Address gaps and opportunities identified by the Alliance as in need of funding or technical support.
- More research conducted by an increased pool of Canadian HIV vaccine researchers tackling CHVI targeted priority areas, leading to greater capacity for vaccines research in Canada;
- New ideas, concepts, approaches, and technologies in HIV and basic vaccine research;
- Coordination of various aspects of vaccine development in Canada, reducing duplication and build synergies;
- Accelerated translation of results of research into intellectual property, policies, practices, procedures, products and services; and
- Highly trained cadre of young Canadian and low-and-middle-income country vaccine researchers.