The specific goals of the renewed Canadian HIV Vaccine Initiative are:
- To advance the basic science of HIV vaccine discovery and social research in Canada, and low-and-middle-income countries;
- To support the translation of basic science discoveries into clinical trials, with a focus on accelerating clinical trials in humans;
- To address the enabling conditions to facilitate regulatory approval and community preparedness;
- To advance the development of related technologies; and
- To improve the efficacy and effectiveness of HIV Prevention of Mother-to-Child (PMTCT) services in low-and-middle-income countries by determining innovative implementation strategies and programmatic solutions related to enhancing the accessibility, quality, and uptake of HIV PMTCT services.